• Admin
    Dak0taD created the topic: Storing expensive coax adapters?

How would you recommend storing expensive coax adapters that have lost their original packaging or never came with packaging meant for storage? I currently have in mind something like clear PVC/acrylic tubing that is cut down to size with plugs in either end, any suggestions on where to buy such supplies for RF connector storage?
  • Admin
    madengr replied the topic: Storing expensive coax adapters?

I'd keep caps on the end. Though I never have ordered from the below since I have quite an accumulation of caps (never through them out).

www.componentforce.com/category/1/caps

Then use closed foam waffle packs to keep them in. If you have ever seen nasty, rotted wooden cal kit box foam from HP, Maury, etc. its from using open cell foam that rots with moisture absorption. Sometime in the 90's they switched to closed cell foam and no more problems. Maybe some pluckable foam storage cases; i.e. Pelican cases with a desiccant bag (they may be open cell foam but the desiccant should solve that).
  • Admin
    Desert Sage replied the topic: Storing expensive coax adapters?

You just need to keep them dry, clean and dust free. It is not all that critical. The only exception I know is for APC7 connectors, you probably want to leave the threaded portion lowered to protect the flat gold plated surfaces (inner and outer conductors). Also, you should gage them once in awhile. Maury makes good gages. Gages are expensive, but so is the equipment the connectors connect to.
  • Admin
    madengr replied the topic: Storing expensive coax adapters?

Good advice. I had loads of APC7 and APC14/GR900 parts that were left for years in the wooden boxes. The foam turned to this sticky black paste that gummed up the flower-petals center contacts, and teeth in the GR900. Fortunately I have a spray booth with isopropyl and I was able to save them all. Threw out loads and loads of nice wooden boxes with rotten foam.
  • Admin
    tc replied the topic: Storing expensive coax adapters?

I think that Desert Sage is correct. Most male connectors are protected to first order by the coupling nut and most female connectors are protected by a threaded sleeve - so a simple dust, water and debris bag or connector cap is sufficient to protect. APC and GR connectors are the exception since the inner conductor is exposed.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome!

Join the international conversation on a broad range of microwave and RF topics. Learn about the latest developments in our industry, post questions for your peers to answer, and weigh in with some answers if you can!