• John Booher
    We are a manufacturer of Thermal Platforms looking to improve the capabilities of modern bench top test equipment. Most of the products we sell use LN2 to reach -65 C and colder. How important would it be to customers to be able to quickly achieve these temperatures on the benchtop with plenty of capacity and no need for LN2… in a product under $10k … with better control of thermal gradients?

https://www.totaltemptech.com/thermal-platform-products/

John
  • UnknownEditor
    I am at a small company, we have shied away from low temperature testing. One problem is condensation, which can affect measurement accuracy or in worst-case destroy hardware. Temperature chambers are better suited compared to platforms in my opinion. The chamber design should pay attention to how to maintain zero humidity inside. Is this available?

Another thing I once encountered was near asphyxiation in a lab that had a large number of temperature chambers using N2. It makes you very sleepy, as opposed to speeding up your heart like CO2 chambers do. It seems like very few labs have N2 concentration sensors

https://en.gazdetect.com/gas-information/nitrogen-gas-detector-n2/
  • John Booher

Thanks for the comments.
    We have low ESD covers and purge covers with hinged lid. Keeping a small positive purge pressure in the cover displaces any moisture that might condense. I have worked with CO2 and LN2 for a long time and have heard very few asphyxiation stories. We offer some alarm units, hand held and connected to the equipment. Many of the larger facilities do have monitoring, I am aware that often people will defeat the alarm which is a big problem. I am kind of surprised that CO2 cooling is less popular, the math I have shown seems CO2 is cheaper. The other advantage to CO2 is the gas concentration in the room has a smell so at least you get some clue, if not visions of beer since that is what it smells like. Nitrogen is odorless.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome!

Join the international conversation on a broad range of microwave and RF topics. Learn about the latest developments in our industry, post questions for your peers to answer, and weigh in with some answers if you can!