• Abhishek
    Hello,
    For high frequency application like Ethernet, we typically use special purpose connectors.
    I am thinking of 100Mbps speed.
    What happens if I use regular connector used for electronic control module?
    (Example : https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-2177367-3.html)
    Will it work? is there any article which is published which shows measurement results?
    Will impedance matching be sufficient to retain signal integrity & reduce losses? or any extra care needs to be taken?
  • Glyn Adgie
    If your bandwidth is a only few 100 MHz, then some wiring oddities over a few cm will do no harm. As a rule of thumb, a transmission line discontinuity of 1/20 lambda long is tolerable. From my dim recall of communications theory, 100 Mbits/sec requires a bandwidth of at least 150 MHz. Lamda for 150 MHz is 2m. So a dodgy bit of transmission line no more than 0.1m should be tolerable. Well, yikes! I would never put up with such a mess at VHF. I am sure you can do better.

I should point out here that microwaves101 is dedicated to microwave topics, where interesting things happen at frequencies of many GHz, and physical features of fractions of a millimeter. On my own admission, I do not really belong here, as my RF expertise is in UHF (300 to 1000 MHz), not microwaves. Having said that, microwaves101 has provided many useful guidelines for my designs.

On a more practical note, the answer to the question "will it work?" is to test it. To me, testing means hiring some kit or a lab session to find out whether your non-standard connector affects attenuation, bit error rate, and so on.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome!

Join the international conversation on a broad range of microwave and RF topics. Learn about the latest developments in our industry, post questions for your peers to answer, and weigh in with some answers if you can!