• Admin
    williams created the topic: Design help needed for plasma-producing system

Hi, not sure if this is the right board to ask this, but here goes.

I'm new to the microwave world, I have an Electrical Engineering qualification, but never worked with microwaves. I've observed via research papers people producing microwave generated high temperature plasmas and wanted to ( very cautiously ) try and reproduce some of the results I'd seen, using a humble 2.45 Ghz magatron I have sitting on my garage work bench.

The biggest issue is that I need to develop the knowledge to producing a tapered waveguide to boost the microwave intensity at the end of the waveguide to produce a plasma.

I have done some reading, but some of the basics seem to still evade me, in reality all I wanted is a basic design and some rules of thumb ( yeah....ha ha...its RF... ) to produce a basic rectangle section waveguide to have magatron at one end, waveguide tapered to half / quarter original thickness at other end where the quartz tube and plasma will sit.

I want to learn, hence my post.

I am acutely aware of the dangers of microwaves and HV.

Can I ask for some help, as I'd like assistance in designing such a thing from the ground up and am happy to read and research but its a big and complex field.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome!

Join the international conversation on a broad range of microwave and RF topics. Learn about the latest developments in our industry, post questions for your peers to answer, and weigh in with some answers if you can!